One morning I took a ride to the Old Parade Ground with my brother in-law. He went for a box/kick-box workout; I took a look around.
1. One morning I took a ride to the Old Parade Ground with my brother in-law. He went for a box/kick-box workout; I took a look around.
2. One morning I took a ride to the Old Parade Ground with my brother in-law. He went for a box/kick-box workout; I took a look around.
3. Zacchaeus, on the left, is a retired lightweight boxer who runs one of the training programmes. Extremely firm and very fair is the best way to describe his approach.
4. Zacchaeus, now on the right, gives a helping hand.
5. Outside, I stood for a while and watched a training match.
6. The kid on the other side of the fence sells refreshment in the form of oranges. The peels have been removed, which increases their ‘squeezability’.
7. Back to the football match…
8. Table tennis does wonders for the reflexes, and hand-eye coordination.
9. Members of another football team listen to their coach’s plans for the day.
10. Here, members of the same team, practise what had just been preached. The coach’s reaction made on thing clear: more practise was necessary. That’s a coach for you.
11. This gentleman struck a pose, which included a quite subtle double-thumbs-up.
12. A pre-training session conference.
13. …And yes, there’s always time to check what’s on and what’s up on the mobile devices.
14. Back inside the gym…
15. Stephanie asked if I could take a couple of photographs of her training session with Zacchaeus.
16. The sorry truth is… while I drifted around outside, Ayo had completed his training session. However, for the benefit of my lens, he put on the gloves for a mini-workout.
17. There’s Stephanie again.
18. One thing that struck me was the gender neutral vibe in the gym. Everyone who felt like working out seemed welcome. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
19. On one level, the Old Parade Ground made me think of a truly multi-cultural city. Different sports in harmonious coexistence.
20. A teacher and pupils…