Sometimes, and this can happen quite suddenly, I cannot think of anything to look at. But, and this happens every single time, just before panic sets in, a small voice that lives on one side of my brain whispers: “The city. Remember to look at the city!”
1. She sees, I see, we all see what we see.
2. Out in the middle of everything Louis Visser paints the world around him and time goes to sleep.
3. Another day, another travelling apartment block. A lot of people are moving around.
4. So there they were, the girl and her friend the cruise ship…
5. This year’s Amsterdam Bicycle Swimming Contest was called off at the very last second. Just before the bikes leaped into the water, somebody yelled out: “Sharks!”
6. The key to getting around any city is knowing how to find the good spots.
7. …And the bicycles slowly closed in from both sides…
8. The north side of Centraal Station served as a public, but unofficial, podium for everyone.
9. Yes, you guessed right: that’s an alien spaceship. What’s it doing there? Nobody knows, and it’s not telling.
10. Horizons come in many forms…
11. Everyone appears to have somewhere to go; but things aren’t always what they seem.
12. If Nicolaas the Church told you one percent of one percent of everything it had seen, your brain would explode — not literally, of course; but rather in a “Well, you gotta be kidding me!” kind of way.
13. First prize always goes to whoever crosses the crossing in the most original manner. Extra points are also given for attitude — and rightly so.
14. Conversation lines…
15. “Can you see me?” Asked the tree. “Can you really see me? Not only my leaves and branches, but can you see my soul?”
16. The big white bird looked down at the two humans and wondered: What are they talking about?
17. The white metal posts marched around the block for the thirteenth time. They seemed to like marching.
18. The thing about lines is, they’re always looking for somewhere to go.
19. The lamps spent the rest of the afternoon climbing up and down the pole. And boy, did they have some good, old school fun.
20. Rockabella Building announced she was running for president at about three-fifteen. The stock market crashed eleven minutes later.
21. …And then there are those moments when everything stops, and you can take a good look at the what’s going on in the world.
22. Rockabella Building, from another angle.
23. Even though this place is ’here’, we all know it belongs ’somewhere’ else.
24. The clouds appear to be having a very fine day.
25. The brightly coloured benches rehearsed their ‘synchronised standing’ routine: some things were worth doing well.